Hello all,
I have been enjoying reading your comments on the blog and in your double entry journals. Unfortunately, technology has not always allowed me to post. (Learning curve for me!)
Friday's agenda will be as follows:
1. Check In
2. Book Talks: Briefly share about the professional book you read.
3. Response to Allington. What are some broad comments about this important text? What powerful passages will stay with you?
3. Response to Observations in the Reading/Writing Workshop. What did you see? How would you supervise this? Would it fit the bill as an exemplary program?
4. Response to Vogt and Shearer. Broad comments about the book and its impact on your school's literacy plan.
5. Share your Literacy Plans. This is informal, no handouits or Power Points. What are you thinking about according to the outline I suggested last month?
6. Formiong a LIteracy Team.
7. Next steps...
See you Friday!
Peter
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sunday's front page of the New York Times had a great article about reading in this high tech world called, "Literacy Debate: Online, R U Really Reading?"
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/books/27reading.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&sq=literacy%20technology&st=cse&scp=1
I read the hard copy of this article because in many ways I am a traditionalist, but when I went to send the link I really was amazed how the interview with this articulate family added richness and texture to this article. I am definitely expanding my understanding of literacy and am understanding the need our children have to be critical readers, but I still struggle with what this means for our very youngest readers. What role should technology have in my seven year old's literacy experiences and what is the balance between basic skills and rich, thoughtful literacy?
I appreciated our conversation today and the multiple perspectives that you each brought to the discussion. I was left with much to consider in my literacy plan. In our conversation I made reference to, essentially, an electronic version of the “Judy Binder” from the Greece Public Schools, near Rochester, NY. I thought you might appreciate, for what its worth, a peek at this resource. A lot of work went into this, but without the deep support it didn’t become a reality. Nonehtheless, it’s a great source for the rest of us to borrow, perhaps more selectively.
http://web001.greece.k12.ny.us/academics.cfm?subpage=307
Post a Comment